Tim G.

Change Default Program on Upgrade

Every time I install an update the .pdf default program changes back to M$'s Edge. I have to manually go into control panel to reset the default to PDFElement. My guess is you delete the program causing Win10 to change the default. Why can't you check what the default is and make sure it doesn't change during update, or ask what the user wants for default?

Hi all,

Yeah, we admit that this can be a headache for Windows 10 users to go through the process constantly to change default. 

Our development team has realized this problem and will get a solution for retaining the default app setting with PDFELEMENT even after update.

Thanks for giving us some time.

Heidi

I did the update the other day and forgot about this problem. Just checked the setting for file type and sure enough, it reset to Microsoft Edge. I changed it to PDFelement with no problem.

It went back to Microsoft Edge on its own. I didn't make a change so Win10 must be the gremlin. I will try to remember the problem so on the next update I will check the settings and see how the update goes.

• Like 1

Hi Tim,

I understand. It is so cumbersome to set the default PDF application each time after update. Our programmers come to realize its importance and inconvenience. We will work harder to come up with a solution that can be applied. 

Not that hard Heidi. 

Before update check, if PDF Element is set up as default. Set the answer yes/no in a registry value.

After the update is finished read this registry entry: if yes, then make PDF file association. If no, do nothing.

If automatic things are not working then ask for it in a popup, right after update: Do you want to keep PDF Element as default for PDF files? 

Not more than that.

Hi Adrian,

I understand what you mean. However, in windows 10 system, we cannot make the PDF file association. If we ask for a popup, then it still has to request the users to manually set the default application.