mlh00

Formulas not working

Sum and product formulas on form are not working.  Result field can't be changed manually.  Can I create a form, such as an invoice, in PDF element that uses formulas?

Hey mlh00, 

Are you on Mac or Windows? 

Yes, you can create a form that uses formulas in PDFelement. The result fields can't be changed manually if you set the field to be a sum or product of other fields. What would you like to alter? 

Best,

Rebecca

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the PDF. We did a test.

It seems that the calculation is working well on our side without making changes on the file you sent to us. See below:

Image 2.png

For your reference, we are using the latest version 6.8.0 of PDFelement 6 Professional on Windows 10.

So please update the version to try again. If it still fail, can you please take a screenshot to show me the problem and we will have a further check for you?

Thanks,

Heidi

Hi, I'm using version 6.7.12 on a Mac. When I use the calculate feature, it works great when in the program, but as soon as I export to .pdf the formula breaks and doesn't work. 

Is there a trick to this?

Hi Patrick,

Do you mean that the formula feature can work in PDFelement but while it does not work if being exported to another format?

If so, then it is normal. If not, please tell me more about your case.

Thanks and best, 

Hi Patrick K,

I downloaded your attached files to have a further check. It seems that you have not set a calculation formula for the field yet.

To set calculation, please also right click the field to choose the option of Properties and then go to the tab and then set the calculation field as you want. 111.png.89514bc69a2c08b7e5bfba9650e794ff.png

Hope this helps.

Best,

Heidi, 

I'm sorry if I'm not being clear. 

I have programmed formula in PDFelement 6 pro, and it works within the program. 

But, when I export the formula breaks. 

Are you able to create a formula on a Mac, and export and keep it working?

Please test it and then advise. 

-Patrick

Edited by Patrick K

Hi Patrick,

Two things to clarify before we could get to the same page.

1. Exporting the formula refers to exporting the original PDF to another .pdf file or export the form feature?

2. Is the file you sent to me the original file or the exported file?

Our development team downloaded your file to have a test--set the calculation formula, saving it as another PDF file, open the saved file in Adobe Acrobat and find that the form calculation still to be working.

Thanks for your patience in helping us sort this issue out together. 

(PS: I uploaded your file here with the sum formula set for your form fields. Please check it to see if it works. PDF-Element-6-pro-Mac-TEST.pdf)

Happy New Year, Patrick. 

Hi Heidi, 

I have isolated the problem. 

The formulas work when viewed in Adobe Acrobat, or when opened in Google Chrome. 

The formulas break when viewed in Mac "Preview" or on Safari. 

I'm assuming this has something to do with javascript (mac) vs active-X (PC)

Can you confirm? 

Hi Patrick,

Sorry for the delayed response due to the New Year holiday.

Your puzzle makes sense to me because many people do not know that the Preview does not support advanced form feature such as calculation because it does not meet PDF ISO, which is similar to Safari. 

Happy New Year!

Heidi