Nelson K Nelson

Simply CUT (or copy) an IMAGE out of a page that thinks it's part of a bigger image (often whole page is 1 image after scan-in), and PASTE it onto another page

When documents from my raw scans (and NOT OCR because I can't replace the text or it destroys the authenticity of the documents) they usually just show up with each page as 1 big image.  OCR may break them up, BUT, I can't do that...  so how do I:

1. Simply cut (or copy) an image (that's a portion of another image) OUT of one page and put it into another.  Seems to be no problem doing with with PDFs that have been already made somehow else, and images are all separate (which is itself PROBLEMATIC for other things, actually, since I can't move them as a group or resize them as a group, or resize a whole PAGE of them as a group -- a later issue I'm posting elsewhere).

Help me do something sooooo simple that any text editor from 20+ years ago could easily do it.

2.  So, how do I select an area to CUT on one PDF page and then paste it into a different .PDF page, especially when PDF Element doesn't seem to KNOW to treat images separately?  Am I forced to OCR this file to get separate images recognized separately? (It's not even characters being recognized here, just a different image)...

3.  I tried under both EDIT and PAGE, and I even tried making copies of a page with multiple images on it (but the whole page is treated as one big image) and then going into PAGE BOXES and cropping out everything EXCEPT the image I want, and then copy/pasting that image (which is irritatingly now a FULL PAGE, not just an "image") onto another page where I'm assembling images.   

Puhleeeese Help!  ...    Also see my other OBVIOUS questions about doing REALLY OBVIOUS STUFF....

Thank you!  :-)

(I do want this to work, but I mostly want honesty and if I need a different .PDF Editor to do this, I'm find with buying a different one. instead.)

Hi Nelson,

I am sorry I am a bit confused about your statement. I will try best to provide answers that might be helpful for your case. 

If your document is scanned file, then each page will be recognized as single image. But you can use camera feature to extract the portion you want:

camera.png

If your document is not scanned file, then you can refer to the following two ways to extract image:

1. To extract one image only.

extract image1.png

2. To extract all images in the document. 

extract image.png

Any question, please let me know.

Heidi

Thanks for the reply, Heidi, it's appreciated!

I'm trying to do several things related to removing and/or moving.  In one example, I would post the documents here but they're sensitive financial ones relating to providing evidence for my wife's immigration, so I can't post them.

In this example I printed a web page from Chrome of 25 financial payments sent via a certain service to support my wife while she's waiting for her interview.  But I need to remove the final 3 payments from that document since they are part of a prior document I already sent (and duplication can result in confusion).  When printing (first creating that .pdf) from the webpage of the financial service, I can't choose to print only the most recent 22 payments -- the choices are last 10, 25, or 50.  Choosing 25 is closest so now I just need to remove the last 3, and then move everything else up, including all or most of the footer of that page.

But the problem is that every single thing, even every single character, seems to be its own separate image.   So to do this, I ended up manually just selecting every single letter and number separately and deleting them -- from the payments I didn't want showing here --  then selecting (almost) every single element in the footer of the document, doing a COPY and moving it up to the empty space created on the page above it, then PASTING it, then trying to position it.  At the end then I just deleted the final page I didn't need, and removed page numbering in footers (to further avoid confusion by the reader).

There has to be a better way so now I'll try it soon using this CAMERA method, IF I can find the camera, and IF it will let me select a group of elements to CUT (or COPY) and then paste onto a different page, or maybe into a different file if that's the need.

I'll advise how well it works and post here the solution found, or any further problems doing what you're suggesting.

My system is Windows 7 Ultimate fully-updated and current running with ample resources in processor/RAM/SSD.  (In case you needed that.  You at least probably needed to know it was the Windows version)  :-)

Many thanks again,

Nelson

OK, tried camera feature on a downloaded .PDF of a year-end summary from a credit card company.  I only need to submit a few of these pages, not all of them, and thus I want to remove the first few, at least.

But I want to have some identification on the final .PDF identifying that it's my account, and shows my name and address on it.  So I want to cut out those portions from the first page (which I will then delete) and place them neatly somewhere on the first page with information on it that I am keeping and submitting.  Again, not subterfuge here, just abridgment and curation of a bigger file than needed and more pages than needed.

The CAMERA feature:

1.  It wants to save the image as a .BMP file.  Wow.   Yeah, bitmapped images are definitely lossless, but, um, keeping every one and zero in an image isn't required with formats like .jpg/.jpeg and .png which do offer lossLESS compression...   (but this is a minor complaint, I guess -- just wondering why the unnecessary bulk here by the developers;  or am I missing a way to save the capture from the Camera in a different format)

2.  It wants to save the image to my drive.  All I want to do is capture it and paste it elsewhere in this page (or another page) of my .pdf that's open in PDF Element, or maybe in another .pdf file that I would make sure was also open in PDF element...  Why can't I just copy (or cut) and paste somewhere else in my document?

Is there another tool besides Camera that lets me do this without laboriously saving a .bmp to my drive, and then inserting it from my drive onto the page that's right next to the page I'm working with in PDF Escape?   Why the big work-around?

Can you suggest a different, simpler cut & paste or copy & paste method?

Thanks!

I GOT IT!   :-)    From CAMERA after highlighting I need to RIGHT-CLICK  (this is not an obvious choice, ahem!), then choose Copy and Exit Screenshot.   Then move to the page where I want it, right click, paste.   

I'm not yet sure if I can do this from a page in one open file to a page in another open file -- and I'm not sure (yet) if the portrait/landscape orientation will "stick" after I rotate everything back again (as will be needed with this document to get it to print correctly when compiled in with 50 other documents and I need them all to be portrait), but so far, this is FINE.

Also figured out there is the choice of more than .BMP.  Sorry for that whine.  😉       My bad.

Thanks @Heidi Chan, very muchly.     

The cutting/pasting being hidden in a right click after selection:  Yes. It's there, but not an obvious thing, and not intuitive to me, since copying and pasting within a document (or at least within PDF Element) should be the first and most prominent choice on such actions, based on how I tend to use this product.  But now I found it and I will only add to this thread if there were other types of cut/copy & move/paste issues that I was also thinking were problematic..

Much appreciated!  😄

Nelson 

Edited by Nelson K Nelson
Correct steps and be more accurate.

OK, there's still the problem of CUT in a cut & paste situation where I want whatever I capture removed  .  That doesn't happen here.

And maybe is because it's unclear what would remain in a cut?  Maybe that's why I don't have that option?   Theoretically when doing a cut, whatever background would remain (typically whitespace, but maybe it's layered over something), I would either want that background to remain in place, or maybe be given a choice whether to remove a background piece along with the cut operation just leave whitespace, or if I wanted to cut out only the top layer above the background, or even select the number of layers deep I'm cutting.  (This is all IF I were doing an actual CUT here, but I'm not, so this paragraph is maybe a feature request.)

But either way would be more than I have now with the Camera feature in a scanned in pdf where each page just appears as one big image.   Right now using the Camera feature I can't cut out what I capture (in your parlance: what I "extract").  And the easiest way I'm finding to CUT using this camera feature, and this is a really amateur method, is to capture ("extract") using Camera a chunk of white-space from a different part of the document and then paste it over the part I had wanted cut...   ugh.  and ugly.   Since if I want to move something else into that space, I have now piled stuff 3 layers high.

Any tool in PDF Element  that will give me the CUT function when I'm selecting/capturing/"extracting" something?

Any other totally different methods you can suggest, other than Optical Character Recognition, which totally demolishes the appearance of documents, and does a poor job of capturing text anyway, to handle this kind of a thing overall?

I'm open to suggestions on any best practices for doing this sort of thing.

Many thanks again.

P.S.  I bought PDF Element after buying Filmora knowing that Wondershare does things a bit, um, differently than other designers in terms of user interface, and sometimes that's easier, but sometimes it's harder.   Sometimes standard industry terms are used for common operations, and sometimes they're not.  Sometimes the action that I think (for whatever my opinion is worth) should be the most obvious choice to be the default action, or at least the most prominently shown action, is buried in the interface somewhere by Wondershare devs.   But, even knowing all that, I found Filmora to be very powerful -- better than expected, and that it would do what I want without reading the primers -- and that was for video editing, something with which I had near zero experience.   

So I figured .pdf editing, which should be reasonably similar to other types of editing of documents with words and images and fields thereof, in essentially un-demarcated whitespace, would be something where I would find that Wondershare's PDF Element product would be even more intuitive to me since I have so much more experience with similar products, than what I experienced with Filmora, where I had almost no prior video-editing experience.  But the reverse turned out to be true...  Here, I'm beset with the inability to find the features I need/want, and seeking help.  Maybe I need to un-learn some of my editing assumptions before I can re-learn with PDF Elements?

• Like 1

Hi Nelson,

I'm glad you got some of that sorted out! I must admit I am a bit confused about this cut and paste situation. Are you saying that when you select the object you would like to cut, and right click to select "cut", the object does not become deleted? If possible, could you pls send me a screenshot (or two) of what you would like to do VS what is actually happening? 

Thanks!

Rebecca

Yes, when capturing with the Camera function, there is only the copy choices, nothing that will "Cut" out that section being "extracted."

In EDIT >> SELECT mode I can highlight sections and move the whole section as one piece on a page, but that's often not possible if the page got weirdly cut into strips of images when it came in as a .PDF ...   

But, if you play with it for a while and click back and forth between LINE and PARAGRAPH treatment of the editing (a difference I still can't understand the reasoning behind, nor can I see any changes when using one or the other, but it's useful to click back and forth and "wake up" the software to finally let me use SELECT to choose groups of elements on the page.   Screenshots wouldn't help -- would just show you the strips of images that compose the page (instead of one image) and a MOVE style cursor 4-directional arrow hovering above, even though SELECT (not EDIT, not HAND) is chosen in the upper left.

You can duplicate that easily enough.  Try a few year-end statements or just PDF monthly statements from banks.  First view them in Google Chrome's viewer on Windows 7, then "SAVE" that .pdf file to your hard drive using the Chrome command to do so, or a right-click and save of the whole file from the context menu.

You'll see that sometimes these pages import in strips of images, and often when it seems like it would be least likely to do so because they're just blocks of text with no real lines in them on which Chrome's saving, or PDF Element's opening, should cause either to think there is anything other than one big image for that page.

But yes, sometimes it takes playing with settings - changing, then changing back - for the software to allow me to do this.  Sometimes it even takes closing and saving the file then re-opening it.

Should be easily duplicable, but I'd be willing to privately send you such a page or two so you can maybe see what's happening on it.

Thanks!

Hi Nelson, 

Thanks for the clarifications. 

1) Are we talking about moving objects as a unit (from your other post)? If yes, you don't have to drag to highlight/select. You can just click on the object and hold down "control" and select other items to be a part of the move. Hope that helps with the issue. If you're unable to select the objects, that would be a whole different issue and I would love to take a look if that's the case. 

2) Cut/paste - sorry, it totally went over my head that you were talking about the camera feature and I was worried that it was the regular cut and paste function that wasn't working for you. Yes, for the camera feature, there is no option to cut a part directly out of an image; that's a little advanced for our image editing capabilities I'm afraid. I guess if you really needed a section to go, you can insert a blank square. While not ideal, it is a work around. 

If you ever need to show me documents in private, please either message me on the forum through my profile or shoot me an email at rebeccac@wondershare.com. 

Thanks!

Rebecca