Sign in to follow this  
Don Prince

PDF restricted permissions

I just down loaded PDFelement 6 for Mac (demo version) and enabled write protection on my PDF file created with MS Word 2016 and assigned a password as a test. I opened the PFD file with PDF Pro Lite and it states the file is write protected... Great! However, if I open the PDF file with Mac Previewer, then I can insert a page and it forces a save as a PDF copy file... Should PDFelement 6 for Mac have restricted the page insertion?

Hi Don,

For your information that this is because Preview is not the professional PDF programs, it does not meet the PDF ISO standards. Therefore, it is not quite compatible with advanced form fields features.

I bet if you use Adobe Acrobat to do the password setting, the reaction of Preview will be the same. 

Please let me know if you find anything. 

Hello Heidi,

I see a serious problem here with PDFelement 6 for Mac and the security for my PDF book... My book has Donald M. Prince on the Managing Editor page. If I create a managing editor page with Heidi Chan's name, then I can add your page and remove mine with Mac Preview and effective modify my book with a 26 letter encrypted password protection. Whether, Mac's preview meets ISO standards or NOT... PDFelement for Mac security just got its doors blown off...

Regards,

Don_

Hi Don, 

Once you set the permissions, the user shouldn't be able to make changes, even on Preview:

Protect -> Password -> Permissions 

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.53.10 AM.png

Below, you can see that I was able to drag a separate page from another PDF in Mac Preview. However, when I close the program to save it, the changes do not save. When I export the file, there is a pop-up letting me know that I can't export because it is password protected. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.57.05 AM.png

Let me know if this helps!

Best, Rebecca 

Hi Rebecca,

I got it to work... It looks like it is working and requires my password. If I allow high resolution printing of my book and the printer is OFF. Will the file be saved as a PDF without the security? If so, then they will have a non-secure copy of my book... In that case, I would not allow any printing. Do those apps to remove PDF passwords work on PDFelement 6? I'm using a 25 letter password with lower case alpha, upper case alpha, and numbers... some of the password testers indicate my password could be hacked in 7.308489025847019e+27 years...

Regards,

Don_

• Like 1

Hey Don, 

Glad to hear! 

I've set it so that users can print in High Resolution but NOT make any changes unless they know the password. I sent it to my colleague and on his screen, you can't select/use any of the editing functions (because they are greyed out) unless you know the password (the pop-up under the ribbon allows you to "enable editing" if you know the code). 

45066151_2190202631302682_6916243200332005376_n.png

I've attached the protected document here for you to test. The password is 12345. 

PDFelement-Brochure TEST PROTECT.pdf

Best, Rebecca

Hello Rebecca,

I opened your protected file with PDF Pro (a free download PDF reader). Then I inserted a page into your protected file and saved the file. I opened the file back up and created a text box and typed in some text and saved the file again.  I was NEVER asked for a password??? I have attached your protected file that I modified!

Regards,

Don_ 

PDFelement-Brochure TEST PROTECT.pdf

Hello Rebecca,

It looks like the file PDFelement Brochure TEST PROTECT.pdf does NOT have protection enabled and that's why I was able to modify your file. I downloaded your file again and used PDFelement to verify there was NO protection. Does this mean that the saved print file does not have password protection?

Regards,

Don_

Edited by Don Prince

Hello Rebecca,

I took one of my book chapters and opened it up with PDFelement and set the protection and permitter High Definition printing and saved the tile named protected. I went to Mac Previewer and set the printed file to go to Protected print file and saved the protected file. However, I open the protected print file with PDFelement and there is no protection on this file. It looks like the print command only sends the PDF date and not the permissions to the saved file. I believe most PDF readers and software does the same thing. Therefore allowing a print function to a protected file removes the protection.

Don_

Hi Rebecca,

I have discovered that permitting high res printing breaks the PDFelement security...  I took one of my book PDF chapters and permitted High Res Printing only and saved the PDFelement file. Then I opened the protected file with Mac Previewer and inserted a blank page, no security message while the file was protected. The file was saved as a COPY (With No Security) and the original file was unchanged. PDFelement should not have created the copy file!!!  If I run the same scenario without printing enabled, then there is no copy file created and the original file is intact with security

Therefore, if I want my book to be secure:

I can not permit any printing option what so ever and that will eliminate the unprotected saved print file problem, and no printing option seems to eliminate the "allow a change and will not be saved," but this scenario creates a COPY file with the page inserted and NO security; this does not modify the original file which is Protected. However, my un-secure book's copy file is now open for changes....

Regards,

Don_

• Like 1

Hey Don, 

Thanks for reporting this in such detail. The development team will look into this further to see what can be done to improve security. @Heidi Chan

Regards, Rebecca