btea

adding text fields to fillable forms

Question

I've read several posts on this and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I apologize in advance if it's something simple that I'm not grasping. pdfelement pro 6. windows.

I have a questionnaire in PDF, converting it to a fillable form. Some spaces for answers have a short line after the question, and longer lines to fill in underneath. I need to make a text box that allows people to type, and for the text to flow into the next line. (right now the text just gets smaller to fit on the same line and gets cut off if saved or printed)

I have right clicked the text field to select "properties." and selected "multi-line" and "scroll long text". 

Can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong, please? is it supposed to be one or the other or both? Honestly I think I've tried every possible option, but my brain seems fried after spending so much time on this. 

pic for example 

questionnaire clip.png

11 answers to this question

Hi Btea,

It is because that the scroll is transparent so that you won't be able to view it. 

If you adjust the height of the form field, then you will be able to see it. 

Hope this helps.

Hmm. The issue, i think, is that I don't want it to scroll within the same line. I need a text box to flow from one field to the next, keeping the same size and font, without having to hit "tab" to get to the next line. I can't make the text field larger as it would cover the written question/text.

See attached. (while I'm at it.. how do i make the fillable text the same size and font?)

i appreciate your help so much!! :-) :-)

pdf current.png

pdf goal.png

Hey Btea,

I am sorry that I do not quite understand it. According to my interpretation of your question, I think decreasing the font size for the form field shall help. Then you will see the text in more than one line and you can scroll the text within multi-lines visibly. 

739042644_Image1.thumb.png.babb35f92cfcd6141a8c93b184da29e4.png

Hope this helps.

Best, 

I have the same question. How to I force words to automatically wrap to the next line without needing to hit tab button?  This is very important for most forms. 

Hi Btea and Patrick,

I am afraid not. Because in different lines, they are regarded as different form fields. There is no way to recognize them as one field. 

And it will not move to the next form field automatically if this form field is wrapped, which is the same with Adobe. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

What about line height?  Is there a way to adjust the line height (on a Mac) so that when the text wraps, it fits the size of the text field? 

Hi Patrick,

To make the text fits the size of the text fields, there are two options:

1. Enter the form field properties windows, go to Appearance tab to adjust the font size. 

2. Double check to select the form field, put your mouse at the corner of the form field, drag and drop to resize the text field. 

Hope this helps.

Best, 

Hi Patrick,

Do you mean the customization of the height of the form field?

If yes, the latest version of PDFelement supports this. 1318654952_Image1.thumb.png.73961035ebc7079c075b62ebd090df1e.png

Here is the latest version:

44691470_Image2.thumb.png.0a9ca88744aedfe5624af2f4ca2d8a8f.png

Hope this information helps.

Thanks and best, 

Heidi, 

1. I'm on a Mac.  I do not have Windows.  Please stop showing pictures of windows version. 

2. See attached picture for what I mean by line height.  

line height .png

Hey Patrick,

Thanks for pointing it out. I understand what you need now. 

To be honest, the line space is available on Windows version but not available on Mac version. 

I will forward this request to our product manager for his reference.

Thanks and best,