bram

How to Retain the Bookmark after Combining PDFs

Question

Most of my job require me to do a pdf editing, especially to combine PDF flles (from around 85 up to 100+ pdf files to become 1 combined pdf) in Mac.

And this combined pdf need to have a bookmarks, that derived from previous each single pdf file. When I combine the pdf files using PDFelement, the bookmark is gone. Is there any method to combine pdf which retain the bookmark? pic_1.0.png.521c2831278a0e893019b52eb9b2bed7.png

Second question: Alternatively I can do this using free app called PDFCombo, but when I open the combined file using pdfelement, and try to rearrange the bookmark-make some sub bookmark-  (and sometime app crashed when try to make a lot of sub-bookmark ) then save it. When I open it in Preview (Mac default app), the bookmark is messed up. Is there any way to fix it?

pic_2.0.png.553529a95076b3935fa7e3150cb36f2c.png

pic_2.1.png.263fe845d570f927d224a798b1f518cd.png

pic_2.2.png.8fcca93989e04b74d0134c32ef7a7198.png

Thanks

7 answers to this question

Hi Bram,

Thanks for reaching out. I will answer your questions one by one. 

For the bookmark lost after combing PDFs, to be honest, it is a bug. Our PDF Core team is analyzing this issue and will fix it in the near future. 

For the crash issue when adding sub-bookmarks, could you please send me the PDF and the crash report so that our testers and developers can work together to replicate it on our side therefore to solve it?

For the messed up bookmarks in Preview, it seems to be a compatibility issue of Preview. I wonder if you open the same file in Adobe Acrobat or other PDF programs, will the bookmarks still be messed up? FYI, Preview does not meet PDF ISO so actually there would be some compatibility issues.

Thanks for your understanding and support.  

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for the answer.

Hopefully the bug's problem will be solved soon, cause I intend to upgrade to pro.

For the crash issue, I am sorry I can't share the pdf because of the sensitivity of data. I will send the recording of it when I experience it  again. (Fortunately, during the bookmark rearrangement process recently, all processes are successful/no crash issue )

Meanwhile the process is successful, the problem of the bookmark become messed up is still appear. Please see this video for the detail:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjw9ov7khqm82nk/Bookmarks are messed up after rearranging them.mp4?dl=0

Thank you.

Hi Bram,

Thanks for recording the video! 

We not only watched it but also did tests accordingly, but we failed to replicate this issue. 

Could you please send me that PDF and we will have a further analysis on this issue?

Your cooperation would be appreciated. 

Cheers, 

Hi Heidi, 

can you send me your email so I can send the file to you?

Thanks

Hi Heidi, 

I am sorry for not responding immediatelly. But now I know the problem source, which is the free app (PDFCombo) I mentioned earlier which causing the bookmark order become messed up when compiling using PDF Element.

Thanks

On 1/17/2019 at 10:43 AM, Heidi Chan said:

Hi Bram,

Thanks for reaching out. I will answer your questions one by one. 

For the bookmark lost after combing PDFs, to be honest, it is a bug. Our PDF Core team is analyzing this issue and will fix it in the near future. 

For the crash issue when adding sub-bookmarks, could you please send me the PDF and the crash report so that our testers and developers can work together to replicate it on our side therefore to solve it?

For the messed up bookmarks in Preview, it seems to be a compatibility issue of Preview. I wonder if you open the same file in Adobe Acrobat or other PDF programs, will the bookmarks still be messed up? FYI, Preview does not meet PDF ISO so actually there would be some compatibility issues.

Thanks for your understanding and support.  

Hi Heidi,

Has the problem for the bookmark lost after combining PDFs been solved in PDFelement 7 Pro? I recently received email about upgrading to version 7.

I might be interested if this case has been solved.

Thanks