Sign in to follow this  
brianchris

Seemingly Very Basic Question

Can anyone tell me why I can't delete pages, or make other edits *after* I have saved the following PDF form to my hard drive?  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf   Such options to edit / delete pages, etc. are all greyed-out in PDF Element.  It contains text (it is not simply an image), so OCR doesn't apply here.  I have checked and the file is not marked "read only" in Windows.  If the file *is* protected from editing in some other PDF-type way, can someone please tell me how I can check for such mysterious protection in the future, so I don't have to waste the time I did now trying to research this problem?  Thank you in advance for any assistance!

11 hours ago, brianchris said:

Can anyone tell me why I can't delete pages, or make other edits *after* I have saved the following PDF form to my hard drive?  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf   Such options to edit / delete pages, etc. are all greyed-out in PDF Element.  It contains text (it is not simply an image), so OCR doesn't apply here.  I have checked and the file is not marked "read only" in Windows.  If the file *is* protected from editing in some other PDF-type way, can someone please tell me how I can check for such mysterious protection in the future, so I don't have to waste the time I did now trying to research this problem?  Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Hi Brian,

There are two different forms systems in the world of PDF: AcroForms are forms that you can create and edit in PDFelement or any PDF editor, and XFA forms - or LiveCycle Designer - forms, which are created in LiveCycle Designer.

XFA indicates that the content will be defined later after binding to a template. This also means that the following is possible:

• Form fields may be moved or resized.
  • Form fields automatically grow or shrink according to the amount of text added or removed.
  • As a form field grows, it can span multiple pages.
  • Repeating subforms may be spawned as needed, and page contents shifted accordingly.
  • Elements on the page are shown or hidden as needed.

The document you have shared is an XFA form created using Adobe Lifecycle. Unfortunately, there is no way to edit XFA forms directly in PDFelement or any other PDF software. You can only fill, sign and submit an XFA form using PDFelement.

Important Notes –

1.      Creating or editing XFA form requires Adobe LiveCycle Forms Designer.

2.      XFA Forms are not part of the PDF/A (Archiving) standard.

3.     PDFelement supports only reading and filling of existing XFA-based PDF forms.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for that excellent information!  (even though the answer was unfortunate).  Last question:  can you teach me / us how you determined that the document was an XFA type form?  On the one hand, anytime I can't edit a form in the future, I will try to remember that its probably an XFA type form.  However, if you could teach me / us how to detect an XFA form ourselves, that would be great.  Thanks again!!

Hi Brian,

If opened with the Professional version, there will be a message column in the program as shown below

1198741689_Image6.thumb.png.2b1c9fa69a205373e2df1b06d24daca6.png

Hope this helps.