Eric Yeung

PDFelement 7 for existing users

In less than one year after I purchased PDFelement 6 Pro, rather than adding new features to it, they released PDFelement 7.  Why are they doing that?  I guess that's needless to say.

So whats going to happen to the existing users? Well, according to the email sent out, existing user can upgrade to PDFelement 7 for one year.  Yes, one year, what is going to happen after one year?  Nobody knows.  Paying extra to migrate from 6 to 7 is not an option now.  That's not a very good way to treat existing customers.  

If you currently have PDFelement 6 the upgrade to PDFelement 7 is free, and the website indicates that you can keep using your PDFelement 6 installation, as version 6 and version 7 are independent products. Looking back at my invoice from November 2018, the purchase of PDFelement 6 Pro included a compulsory purchase of a 2-year “warranty” for $4.95; at least I do not recall any means to remove the warranty from my cart.¹ I would guess that the warranty that you and I purchased for PDFelement will remain valid for the 2-year period from the purchase date.

Looking at the Plans & Purchase page on the website, the buying options are either a perpetual license or a 1-year subscription. The annual subscription model has been adopted for numerous applications that are not freeware. So, guessing again, PDFelement 6 users, a free upgrade to version 7 is offered for the subscription service.

Someone would have to confirm this, but given what I can see, this is my synopsis.

¹ And what exactly is a warranty in terms of software? More likely this was a mistranslation, as Wondershare is a Chinese company.

Hi, I have quite the same problem.

I ordered PDFelements Pro 6 less than a week ago.
Is there a grace-period for customers?

Or do I have to apply my 30-day-money-back?

Hopefully, someone from Wondershare will chime in on this matter. I cannot recall if I purchased a perpetual license or the subscription, but given that I have the 2-year warranty, I would guess that my current license is perpetual. That would also make sense, as I would not desire to be pinged each year if it turned out that PDFelement was sorely lacking in terms of my needs. For the most part I use PDFelement to clean up the final version of reports authored by my co-workers or myself that were exported from Microsoft Word.

I have been playing with forms for the past two days, and after upgrading to PDFelement 7 Pro, I have found numerous issues with the macOS edition for editing forms. Despite that, I would guess that my general need for a PDF editor has not been altered much from version 6.

6 hours ago, Michael Dawson said:

Hopefully, someone from Wondershare will chime in on this matter. I cannot recall if I purchased a perpetual license or the subscription, but given that I have the 2-year warranty, I would guess that my current license is perpetual. That would also make sense, as I would not desire to be pinged each year if it turned out that PDFelement was sorely lacking in terms of my needs. For the most part I use PDFelement to clean up the final version of reports authored by my co-workers or myself that were exported from Microsoft Word.

I have been playing with forms for the past two days, and after upgrading to PDFelement 7 Pro, I have found numerous issues with the macOS edition for editing forms. Despite that, I would guess that my general need for a PDF editor has not been altered much from version 6.

That so called 2 year warranty is a download warranty.  If you somehow misplaced your file and need to reinstall it, it just gives you a link to download.  Don't be mistaken there is any sort of warranty.  I don't even know why they have this kind of warranty.  They might have make it as separate product, but it is the same product to me.  Perpetual licence you might think it is, but let me tell you this, sooner or later they are going to stop updating the older version and you wont be able to open certain documents and had to buy newer version.  

Upgrading to 7 is only good for one year so all the existing users are destined to stuck in this situation.  It's ok if they don't answer or rectify this, I will just post in 20 different websites and make sure people aware what they are buying into. 

pdfelement.jpg

6 hours ago, Eric Yeung said:

That so called 2 year warranty is a download warranty.  If you somehow misplaced your file and need to reinstall it, it just gives you a link to download.  Don't be mistaken there is any sort of warranty.  I don't even know why they have this kind of warranty.  They might have make it as separate product, but it is the same product to me.  Perpetual licence you might think it is, but let me tell you this, sooner or later they are going to stop updating the older version and you wont be able to open certain documents and had to buy newer version.  

Upgrading to 7 is only good for one year so all the existing users are destined to stuck in this situation.  It's ok if they don't answer or rectify this, I will just post in 20 different websites and make sure people aware what they are buying into. 

pdfelement.jpg

Hence the reason I noted what is a warranty with regard to software in my original response. I cannot think of any other software that uses such terminology if only because of the fact that software is so fluid. In the 1980s, you could go a few years before an upgrade became available. Updates were far less common, as incremental updates to software were more difficult to distribute in a cost effective manner, as doing so meant completely replacing the physical stock at brick and mortar stores, or offering mail order media. Thus, in the pre-Internet world, software developers were more inclined to hold off on incremental updates in favor of major upgrades to a new version.

As to a perpetual license, I am well aware of exactly what that means as I have been using computers since long before the subscription model came about as a general practice. Software subscriptions were near-exclusively a feature of enterprise-level software that often included client server products such as SAS, Oracle, and other such products. More often than not, such software was well out of reach for small to medium-sized business, let alone individuals, as such software easily had five to six-figure pricing; such software is a classic example of supply and demand, as they catered to much smaller user bases than products such as Microsoft Office, Adobe’s Creative Suite (CS), et al.

Perpetual licenses are what they have always been: user control of what they run on their computer. That stated, the fact that a particular version of software will at some point cease to be supported is the very definition of a perpetually licensed software. With a perpetual license, the user is not cut off because they failed to pay a periodic fee, but as new versions of software become available over time the cost to upgrading from older versions increases. For PDF editors, this is less of an issue, as the PDF specification (intentionally) does not change at a break neck pace—it took 24 years to reach PDF 2.0—and, as it has an underlying intent to be an file format that is useful for archiving content, PDF documents created in older PDF versions continue to be supported.

So, the need to upgrade to a newer version of a PDF editor is to either incorporate new features in the specification or because the current operating system in use no longer supports an older version of the editor. For instance, I cannot run my licensed copy of Adobe Acrobat that I had on my Power Mac G4 Cube on a contemporary Mac because it was a Classic Mac OS product that ran on PowerPC-based Macs. Similarly, if I was still able to run an older 32-bit version of Acrobat developed for (Mac) OS X, the current macOS 10.14 Mojave, is very likely to be the last version of macOS on which I could use that 32-bit version of Acrobat.

Hi Eric, Daniel and Michael,

We fully understand what your are concerning about.

PDFelement 7 is a new program from any other older version. We have a new IU, more features, and new Wondershare ID system instead of using licensed code.

This is this first month of launch PDFelement 7, the free upgrade to a yearly membership is our special offer to users who has bought PDFelement 6 or other older version. And it was a limited-time offer within this month. 

All the new user need to pay the subscription with fully price, yearly or life-time. 

Michael is right:  "If you currently have PDFelement 6 the upgrade to PDFelement 7 is free, and the website indicates that you can keep using your PDFelement 6 installation, as version 6 and version 7 are independent products. ". After this month, this special offer will be end, then all the users (new or existed) need to get PDFelement with full price or upgraded price.

PDFelement 6, which is a mature program all ready. Unless there are some new type of files beyond our knowledge when developing PDFelement 6, it can work with all the PDF needs. And we also have a group of loyal users who still use PDFelemennt 5, and work well with that. There is no worry for whether to use PDFelement 7 or PDFelement 6.

It's like someone still using iPhone 6 while others has switched to  iPhone X, XS. The choice is holding on your hand, and we would always like to help when ever you have an issue.

Best regards,

Tia

Guest serra.avatar

What is with teh Lifetime User?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Digitize paperwork and accelerate the way you create, prepare and sign documents.

Available for Windows, Mac, iOS, & Android.

Try Free Buy Now
Start your free trial!

Skip and Download

Start your free trial!

Skip and Download