Phil-Ma

Unable to create a PDF from Office

Hi,

After a succesfull installation on Windows 10, I have tried to create a PDF file from various Office tools (Outlook, Word and Excel).

I "print" with the Wondershare PDFelement printer and PDFelement opens but without the PDF file. No file is created.

I have also try with "Create PDF" by opening an Excel or a Word File, it opens the window "Create from file" with the *FINISH" button. I press "FINISH" but not file appears. I have search with File Explorer, no PDF file has been created.

Where is the problem?

Thanks in advance with your feedback

KR

Phil

I have Windows 10 Professional and I do not see the Wondershare PDFelement printer, but as I have the macOS edition, that is not a surprise; I use Windows 10 in a virtual machine on an iMac with Parallels Desktop. That stated, the way to reliably create PDFs from Microsoft Word, Excel, et al., is to save the file as a PDF directly from the Office application. Software in the Microsoft Office suite do not require 3rd-party software, such as PDFelement, to be installed on your Windows PC. If I recall correctly, you also do not need any 3rd-party software to view a PDF in Windows 10. Hence, you only need a 3rd-party solution to edit PDFs exported from an Office application.

To export to PDF,

1. Click File in the Ribbon and then select Save As.
  2. Below the filename textbox is a drop menu. Select PDF (*.pdf).
  3. If you are not too concerned with the Office defaults, click Save.
  4. If you want a bit more control over how your PDF is created, click More Options…
  5. If you followed Step 4, you will get a Save As dialog box with a few of options at the bottom. Click the Options button to access additional options.
  6. Save your PDF.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply!

You are right about generating PDF file directly from Office. The disadvantage is that the document is "like scanned" or like an image. So I prefer to generate with a good tool. The second point, I need a tool to update PDF files like inserting or deleting page.

By the way, I have found the reason of the problem. I have installed Bitdefender and I have put a ransomware protection. PDFelement tries to to update files in protected area so the temporary files could not be created. I have the change the setup in Bitdefender for PDFelement and it works.

BR

Phil

13 hours ago, Phil-Ma said:

You are right about generating PDF file directly from Office. The disadvantage is that the document is "like scanned" or like an image. So I prefer to generate with a good tool. The second point, I need a tool to update PDF files like inserting or deleting page.

That is interesting. 🤔 I export PDFs from Microsoft Word all the time, as the final version of reports that go to our clients should not be (easily) editable. When I open my PDFs in PDFelement text, images, and graphs are exactly what anyone would expect. Now if you are exporting to PDF from Excel or PowerPoint, I would guess that might be different, but not necessarily.

PowerPoint presentations are nothing more than a collection of textboxes, shapes, and images. Such objects should transfer to the PDF format as is without issue; what you lose is the slideshow capabilities. Excel is a very different beast and there are likely numerous ways in which worksheets translate into a PDF file. The obvious would be to create pages as they would appear in the Page Layout view in Excel.

Whether you need a 3rd-party PDF editor to insert or delete pages into a document is very dependent upon what platform you work on. Windows, and likely Linux, do not have dedicated PDF readers, although Windows 10 users can view PDFs in Microsoft Edge. Those platforms definitely do not have pre-installed software that provides the ability to rearrange, insert, delete, or markup pages in a PDF file.

In sharp contrast, the Quartz graphics layer in macOS has had native support for the PDF file format since the introduction of Mac OS X 10.0. For that reason, Preview can open PDF files; facilitate inserting, deleting, and re-arranging pages; scanning documents directly into the PDF format; marking up PDFs; and saving files as PDF. When I had my Power Mac G5 running Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (ca. 2005), I had an Automator workflow that would prompt me to select one or more PDF files, combine them into a single PDF document, and then open Preview so that I could see the resulting PDF document. Likewise, all macOS software has the ability to export to PDF, as the capability is inherent to the operating system.

So, where Mac users are concerned, a need beyond very basic PDF management would be required to justify getting a PDF editor. For me, it is the need is most often the ability to clean up the table of contents (bookmarks) in reports that have been exported to PDF. The ability to create PDF forms is a nice to have ability, but I am not often called upon to do so. 

Hi Phil-Ma,

I am so glad to found that the issue has been solved. Hope you enjoy in using our program.

And Michael,

Thank you for sharing your idea toward this issue, we highly appreciated your effort.

Have a nice day for you two,

Tia

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Digitize paperwork and accelerate the way you create, prepare and sign documents.

Available for Windows, Mac, iOS, & Android.

Try Free Buy Now
Start your free trial!

Skip and Download

Start your free trial!

Skip and Download